Every single person on this planet has at least one secret that could break your heart. If we could just remember that, there would be a lot more compassion and tolerance in the world

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Limitations

Like many people, I struggle with this topic a lot. I am guilty of limiting myself and others ALL THE FREAKIN TIME. So I was talking to a very wise (unnamed) person about this topic and he had some very interesting insights on the matter.

His idea is that there is a conscept that we as humans create called Limiting Beliefs. These are limitations we put on ourselves to keep us from acheiving our potential as human beings. Why do we do this? Because we are afraid. We are afraid to belive that we are good enough to achive all that we desire. We fear failure. Well guess what! Fear is a limiting belief. Anything that holds us back from reaching our potential is a limiting belief. Lets say a woman says, " because of the career path i have chosen, i will never be wealthy. thats just the way it is." THAT is a limiting belief. THINK about it. How often have you said something like that to yourself or to someone else?? "I can't sing." "I'm just not pretty." "i am never gonna get married." As trivial as they may seem, they truly keep us from exploring options in our lives. Options that may bring us more happines that we could ever imagine. The more limitations we put on ourselves the more we restrict ourselves from opportunities to GROW. And isn't that what the purpose of life is? To learn and to grow.


Ok now I'm definately no expert on this matter, and I have no right to give advice on how to not limit yourself, but this is something that I'm working on and I thought hey maybe the ten or twelve people that read this will be able relate.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is kinda sad that it is basically our nature to limit ourselves. Then you get The Secret and Energy Profiling that help you reprogram your mind to eliminate those limitations. It is still a hard thing for me to learn because I believe I have valid limitations in my life that are beyond my control. Kinda like my body is the limitation and I have to work around it. It is frustrating.... sigh. I am trying to relate to your situation. I guess my fear is that my body will not be able to accomplish my dreams. You seem to be in better shape than me in that respect so maybe that will make it easier for you.... I dunno...

Jaron said...

haha i think i can sound much more grounded on my blog than i actually am. You are definately right that when there are chemical imbalances it is much more difficult to learn to overcome limitations. I don't have bi polar disorder but I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder because of adrenal gland disfunction. There is definately a fear of my mind being out of my control, but what I TRY (not succeed) to do is not let myself be afraid. I accept that the way I feel is out of my control and allow myself to move on from that. Once again its easier typed than done. THANKS FOR COMMENTING MEGAN!!! I love ya!!

Ana said...

you were right to tell me to check this out. helped the stress a bit. thanks.

Bradley said...

Thank you Jaron. It is so true. We really do limit ourselves and others with some of the comments we hear and also give to others. But reading your blog and seeing the image you posted helped me. Thanks...